Covenant United Methodist Church was formed on May 8, 1969 when Calvary and Spencer Ripley churches, located only a block apart, merged into one, using the larger Spencer Ripley building at 1124 Culver Road. It was a new beginning. Together, the two congregations formed a new identity: Covenant.
The word “Covenant” has a special meaning in religious history. It is mentioned in the Bible many times, beginning with the covenant between God and Abraham and ending with the new covenant established in Jesus Christ.
On June 9, 1976, Monroe Avenue United Methodist Church merged with Covenant, following a fire that destroyed the Monroe building.